Wednesday, February 06, 2008

New tires for our Lexus: Goodyear Eagle featuring ResponsEdge Technology

Well, kids, it's about time to install new tires on our 1999 Lexus ES 300. I narrowed my final choices down to two Goodyear tires: the Assurance featuring TripleTred Technology and the Eagle featuring ResponsEdge Technology. And after extensive research - including information on design specs and customer product reviews at TireRack.com - I have settled on purchasing the Eagle with ResponsEdge Technology for our Lexus.

Twin City Tire, one of Champaign's certified Goodyear dealers, is going to install these tires and complete a four-wheel alignment on the car, which has been handling extremely poorly for a few weeks now. At first I thought all the vibration in the steering wheel was coming from cruising the crumbling streets of Champaign-Urbana, but the vibration has only intensified and worsened in the last week. I just don't trust the old (original!) Michelin MXV4s that are currently on the car anymore - they're toast.

I'll post here again with my impressions after I have a chance to drive the Lexus with the new Eagles installed...

1 comment:

dczemaitis said...

After a few days of driving the new Eagles featuring ResponsEdge Technology, I will say that I like them a lot so far.

The Eagles are quite a bit stiffer than the old Michelin MXV4s - the ES 300 doesn't handle so softly as it did before (which is a good thing to me). The tires give the car that luxury touring ride back again: I like this very much. Also, turns are solid: These new tires handle very well - very solid, indeed. I haven't traveled more than 45 mph with them yet, but at 45 mph road noise is not a factor. So far so good, Goodyear!

On another note, Matt at Twin City Tire reported that the driver's side front tire was indeed failing me. They removed the tire and found that its steel belts were separating from the body of the tire, thus causing all the scary vibration in the steering wheel that I was previously experiencing.